Thursday, January 13, 2011




So-its freezing. I'm inside, studying. I hear this pounding on my door and open it to find two ladies with Bibles, some tracts, and random papers in hand. They tell me they're going around to meet their "country friends" and to hand out these tracts. I think to myself, "Its like 8 degrees out, I'm not wearing socks, I have tons of school to do and....oh well, I'll listen. They're doing a good deed". So I listen, they open their King James Version Bible and show me a verse (i'm thinkin' its gonna be this great, encouraging, verse that i had never seen before) Psalm 83:18-That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. Honestly, I was kinda confused and thought to myself, really?? The light should have turned on right then and there, but...its freezing, and I was lookin' at the lady thinkin' she looked like another Yzma in progress. Finally she asks me what church I go to, and I told her Providence Church in Morton-she kinda backs up a little (like i'm gonna eat her) and tells me with a weak smile that "she's heard of it..." She quickly starts saying goodbye and leaving when I ask her the same question-she tells me matter-of-factly that she goes to the Jehovah's Witnesses Church in Pekin. Lightbulb. Afterward, I asked myself if I, being a believer of the Truth, should have gone ahead and witnessed to these women...I still ask myself that now, not really knowing the answer...in one aspect, I could have planted a seed into their hearts and let God take care of the rest, yet on the other hand, honestly, I didn't want to get into a Spiritual debate with those who are firm and stubborn in what they believe. Yet, I have to ask myself if the real reason was because I was being a Spiritual sissy...I guess time will tell, and hopefully next time something like this happens, I'll be ready. I encourage us all to be ready to give an answer for Jesus Christ-you never know when He will put people in desperate need right in front of you. 

So why am I telling you this? Because #1, I have officially been "witnessed" to by a Jehovah's Witness person and #2 Matthew 7:15- which says, “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. My prayer list just got a little longer...

3 comments:

Steven and Milena said...

That was really encouraging! Thanks for posting that! So many times I'm given an opportunity to witness to somebody and I don't just because I'm afraid I'll screw up or I think it won't do any good.

On a less serious note... a little slow that day? ;)

David Price said...

Okay... this story needs a conclusion. Why did they leave (give up) after hearing you went to Providence? That little unknown fact is going to eat at me for a while. =P

Sierra said...

Steven-Thanks! Hahaha, yes. Quite slow, I guess. ;)

David-Beats me. She said she had heard of us so who knows what all that entails. :P I'm left kinda wondering that myself...